Halloween is here, a time of celebration filled with mystery, fun costumes, and sweet treats. But treats for Halloween (Healthy Halloween Food Ideas) do not have to be just chocolate and candy. Try serving these delicious and healthy treats in your home for the whole family.
- Pumpkin seeds- After cutting your pumpkin for a jack-o-lantern scoop those seeds out and bake for a snack. These seeds are packed with fiber, B vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Their calories come from healthy fats, mono, and poly-unsaturated fats. These seeds also contain protein and contain significant amounts of amino acids. Bake the seeds in the oven with some olive oil or make them spicy with lime and chili powder. Pumpkin seeds can be added to salads, granola, cereal, casseroles, and vegetables, homemade bread, and rice dishes.
- Peanuts – These nuts are rich in energy, healthy fats, protein and contain minerals like copper, manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, and selenium. Their higher vitamin content includes vitamin E, folate, and niacin. Choose unsalted nuts, add them to a healthy snack mix or eat right out of the shell.
- Carrot sticks- Raw carrots have no saturated fat, cholesterol and are loaded with beta carotene. They are a good source of fiber and include vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, C, K, folate, potassium, and calcium. Eat plain or dip in hummus or low-fat Greek yogurt.
- Apples- This colorful fruit is a good source of complex carbohydrates, vitamin C, dietary fiber, and health-protecting compounds called phytochemicals. Slice them up; eat with natural peanut butter, wheat crackers, pretzels, or low-fat cheese. Add to whole grain cereals, low-fat yogurt, or salads.
- Popcorn- Air-popped, plain popcorn is low in calories, contains antioxidants, has no saturated or Trans fat, is a whole grain food, and has at least 1 gram of fiber per cup. If you do choose the microwave or stovetop types, check the nutrition facts label and look for brands that have the lowest calories, least amount of fat and salt.